1. Travel
Anouk Zijlma

African Gifts Online

By December 17, 2005

I found an excellent online shop called Africa Imports. They sell all kinds of African merchandise which would make perfect Christmas or Kwanzaa gifts. You can buy fabrics (including kente and mudcloth), clothes, musical instruments, furniture, toys, jewelry and more. The prices are very reasonable and they are based in New Jersey which works out well for people living in the US.

Some of my favorite items are:

• Malawian chair. I grew up with these beautifully carved chairs and their unique design makes them remarkably comfortable to sit on.

• Tuareg Silver Jewelry. Made by the Tuareg Nomads in North Africa, this jewelry is certainly unique and very skillfully made.

• Banana Leaf Art. Made in Kenya and very affordable, you can get cards, paintings and wall hangings all made from banana leaves.

• Flags of Africa. If you've traveled anywhere in Africa and you're like me, you'll want to indulge your nostalgia with a large flag. You don't often get a chance to show off your patriotic feelings about countries like Malawi, Zambia or Tanzania. So make an African flag a centre piece in your home, it's always a good conversation starter.

More African Gift Shops

Comments
December 1, 2009 at 8:37 am
(1) James says:

Thanks for the tips….I found another great site ( http://www.afgifts.com ) with African gifts ideas for different people and occasions.

December 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm
(2) Roxanne says:

I am looking for a catalogue that has ethnic home decor like shower curtains…. (specifically)

December 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm
(3) Jamilah Baldwin says:

wow! I found a store called Dupsie’s. I am African-American but have been to African several times and I know authentic African clothing when i see them. All their items look authentic. The prices are very reasonable too for authentic African clothing. Usually they are almost times 3 of what they are offering them for. I have saved them in my favorites for all my subsequent African wears. Their site is http://www.dupsies.com This would come in handy during any historical black celebration.

January 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm
(4) Juma Hasani says:

I’m originally from Tanzania residing in Chicago and wanted to decorate my house African Style – and found a perfect webpage that has large selection of African Wood Carvings – http://www.safarigifts.com. There are many other African gifts on this page, but if you want original stuff, than stick with wood carvings and not stuff from China.

March 3, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(5) John Michael says:

Our business is to help the world spot and get authentic stuff in Africa. Thanks James for the lead toAfgifts.com. They have a great collection of functional African gift items for those looking for unique gifts.

Anouk, any info on gift giving practices, dos and donts in Africa cultures.

September 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm
(6) Bob says:

You could also check http://www.afrikangift.com they have nice selection of gifts from Africa and they also receive orders for custom-made gift items

October 8, 2010 at 8:19 am
(7) Sjoerd says:

I am happy to see that more and more African gifts can be ordered on line, i came accros this website selling african art gifts http://www.africanartproducts.com they sell a game called Tingatinga Memo game based on 36 Tingatinga art images, my kids just love it.

February 11, 2013 at 3:17 am
(8) Tasatsu says:

I know this might seem old but i’ve been ordering from a really good site making African custom clothing. Their products are a bit pricey but totally awesome and justified.

February 11, 2013 at 3:22 am
(9) Tasatsu says:

The site is newafricandesigns.ecrater.com

September 6, 2013 at 8:20 am
(10) Jane Mackenzie says:

Amazing handcrafted gifts, helping to change lives, one gift at a time.

November 25, 2013 at 11:42 am
(11) ___ _______ 2013 says:

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to
_return the favor_.I’m trying to find things to enhance my
website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!\

Also visit my web blog – <a href=”http://www.brreia.org/ugg-australia-%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B0-%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%97%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AD%E3%83%B3-%E3%83%96%E3%83%BC%E3%83%84-%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B7%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF-%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88-%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BAus9-%E3%83%81%E3%83%A7%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88-%E6%96%B0%E5%93%81-ugg-australia-classic-short-chocolate.html”>___ _______ 2013</a>