1. Travel
Anouk Zijlma

Travel to Africa is not Expensive

By September 10, 2006

One of the biggest myths about traveling to Africa is that it's very expensive. Safaris and African vacations are often billed as a "once in a lifetime experience". But, traveling to Africa is not more expensive than a trip to Europe from the US. The flights may cost a little more, but once you're there, the hotels, meals and excursions are relatively cheap. Here's a small list to illustrate my point:

Did you know ...

• A 7 day tour to Egypt including flights from NYC can cost under $1000.

• Direct flights to South Africa from the US take just a couple hours longer and they don't cost a lot more than flights to Europe in the summer. With a favorable exchange rate your hotel and food costs are also significantly lower in South Africa than in popular European destinations.

• A 11 day Kenyan safari including flights from the US can be yours for just over $3000.

• A 10 day tour of Morocco (without international airfare) including hotels and local transport can cost as little as $1375. With fall airfare sales to Europe right now, your roundtrip flight to Casablanca from the US, can be purchased for under $800.

• A 7 day Zanzibar Island Beach vacation will only cost you $430 (without international airfare).

Related Articles: Cheap Safaris l Cheap Flights to Africa l Deals on trips to Africa
Comments
September 11, 2006 at 4:00 am
(1) tyn97 says:

I have a few friends of mine kept on forcing me to go with them in africa. But I declined cause I thought it will be quite expensive. If only I should have read your blog earlier. I could be there by now enjoying the sun.

July 18, 2008 at 2:16 pm
(2) Edward says:

I am sorry, but your assessment is incomplete/wrong. The prices you are quoting are usually over 100$ per person per day (and often way more). Compare this to Latin America and Asian countries where per person per day costs are half or a third. These prices you speak of are often in countries where the average daily income is 1/30th of what incomes are in Europe and the USA … but the prices are comparable?
Doesn’t this imply that Africe is EXTREMELY expensive? I have spent 4 months in Africa (to several of the countries you mention), and over 2 years traveling through Asia and South America. Trust me, AFRICA IS EXPENSIVE.

September 26, 2008 at 6:43 pm
(3) IC says:

I agree with above. Flight prices are same or cheaper to SE Asia, and once you’re there, things are a lot cheaper than in Africa. Even Bali would be a cheap destination.

February 6, 2010 at 12:34 am
(4) sau says:

I agree with the comment. Many countries, not including Northern Africa, are quite expensive. Egypt is relatively cheap as is Morocco, but many in the Eastern/ Southern region can be quite pricey in comparison to South/ Central America and Asia.

February 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm
(5) Margaret DesMore says:

I’m sorry but I disagree with your assessment regarding “inexpensive travel” to Africa. What makes so-called holidays and excursions to the continent so high in cost IS the flight fares! I book travel for my colleagues in an NGO where they travel to Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa…and by far the fares to Sub-Sahara Africa are the most expensive. Recent examples: Zimbabwe: $1,800; Nigeria: $1500-1700; RSA: 1,053; Kenya: $1600 – Peru $663; Guatemala $410; Japan $841. I think you get my point, so let me reiterate: travel to Africa is expensive!

April 30, 2010 at 4:10 am
(6) Duke says:

Yes…good comparison. No, don’t compare second/third world regions of Africa to the Middle East, Indian sub-continent, SE Asia or South America but compare them to developed ones such as the Europe and the States because they are similar in what? Africa is EXPENSIVE, besides Egypt and Morocco as Sau stated! It’s just a matter of how expensive. People come to Africa for Safaris and to experience less traveled countries and they will have to pay for it as I did. Please don’t fool yourself and compare it to traveling around North America and Europe.

April 23, 2012 at 10:03 am
(7) MBA says:

Looks like Morocco it is. It is indeed cheap once there but the flights are expensive speicaly summer time.