1. Travel
blood diamond This list of top 10 movies about Africa reflects my personal taste and includes classics like The African Queen, and more recent movies like Blood Diamond. I've also got a soft spot for documentaries and my favorite is Cry Freetown by Sorious Samura. All of the films are worth watching if you are interested in traveling to Africa. Knowing a little more about the history and culture of a region you're visiting will only enhance your experience. Click here to see the full list

There are lots of African movies made each year which we don't get to see because of a lack of distribution. Luckily, a company called Africast now enables you to download TV series and movies from Africa directly on to your computer. If you're a fan of Nollywood, Nigeria's booming film industry, check out Africanmovies.com for the latest releases.

Please leave a comment and tell us what your favorite movie or documentary about Africa is ...

(Photo © Warner Bros)

Comments
July 19, 2007 at 10:59 am
(1) Marcy Dermansky says:

This is a terrific list.

Other titles I would include is Caroline Link’s Nowhere in Africa about German Jews who escape the Holocaust by going to Kenya and Darwin’s Nightmare, a must-see documentary about the impact of globalization on Tanzania.

August 30, 2007 at 10:48 am
(2) African Tourism says:

there is much more to africa than the safaris. Africa has a vibrant cultural center. Learn swahili, learn the customs, learn the people. Africa tourism safari

June 30, 2010 at 1:15 am
(3) Taylor says:

hello…i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice…
i hope to go to africa one day, perhaps even live there but i read that in africa the people mostly speak zulu, so i started to learn it, but i herd that that they mostly speak swahili.
if this is true should i begin to learn swahili instead of zulu?

February 28, 2011 at 8:53 am
(4) Josh says:

Lol. That is so very funny. I am a Nigerian and of course we are divided by different ethnic groups but to cut across other ethnic groups in communicating we use english language or pidgin (broken) english to communicate. I have been to south africa and english is a common language. You dont need to learn zulu come with your english and you would be fine.

November 22, 2011 at 10:46 am
(5) alahari ramesh says:

my favourite movie blackhawkdown and also hotel rwanda

November 22, 2011 at 11:08 am
(6) alahari ramesh says:

my favorite movies are blackhawkdown and blood daimond

August 6, 2012 at 5:10 am
(7) Peter says:

You forgot Tears of the sun definitely one of the best movies set in Africa.

October 23, 2013 at 1:22 am
(8) Justine says:

Don’t find this list particularly impressive.