Christmas is very widely observed in Africa. There are approximately 350 million Christians living on the continent. Even non-Christian communities will often join in the fun. On Christmas day carols are sung from Ghana on down to South Africa. Meats are roasted, gifts are exchanged and family visits made.
Here are links to video footage of Christmas celebrations in various parts of the continent. Some videos are a bit shaky, but it's all fun and gives you a good idea of what Christmas in Africa in looks like.
- 12 Days of Christmas Nigerian style - "On the first day of Christmas my motha gave to me fufu with egusi"...
- A choir in a small church in rural Tanzania celebrating Christmas
- "Christmas" by a Kenyan musician Kimangu, a somewhat raucous Christmas song.
- Spontaneous Christmas song and dance in Botswana
- A short clip of a Zambian Santa, running through the streets with people staring in disbelief. And a great Santa in Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone.
- Ethiopian Christmas Song, Ethiopians celebrate Christmas on January 7th.
More about: Christmas in Africa