MoroccoMorocco is great for riding both on the road and off. The Atlas Mountains offer some of the most beautiful riding in Africa, and of course there's the Sahara Desert as well. Check out these tours below for a good sampling of what is on offer, length of trips and prices involved.
- Moto Morocco offers both tailor-made and set tour itineraries for all kinds of motorcycle tours in morocco. The Rif Mountains as well as the Atlas mountains, desert and wherever else you'd like to see. Moto Morocco will also transport your bike for you from the UK to Morocco saving (at least the British public) some vacation time.
- Retread Honda Morocco offers very affordable off-road tours from September to May, for both the novice and experienced rider. Tours last from 3 - 7 nights and include the bikes (Hondas), training, hotels and more.
- Wilderness Wheels specialize in motorcycle tours in Morocco, both in the mountains and desert. Their head office is located in Ouarzazate, Morocco, about 4 hours south-east of Marrakech.
- IMT offers a 2 week tour of Morocco (starting in Southern Spain) which includes some sightseeing in Fes and Marrakech.
Motorcycle Tours in East AfricaIn East Africa you can combine some great off-roading with a safari, a stay at the beach or a white-water rafting trip down the Omo River in Ethiopia.
Fred Link Tours offers Motorcycle Safaris in Kenya and Tanzania. There are 3 organized routes through Southern Kenya, Northern Tanzania and the Kilimanjaro Trail. The tours average 10 days and much of the riding is done off-road.
African Riding Adventures specialize in tours through Ethiopia. Tours can last a few days to two weeks or you can build your own custom itinerary.
Motorcycling Tours in South Africa and Southern AfricaSouth Africa has some of the most beautiful coastal roads in the world as well as lots of mountain passes. It's a good destination for motorcyclists who don't want to off-road. It's also very easy to organize your own self-guided tour and rent motorbikes from Harleys to Vintage bikes with side-cars. Often motorcycle tour companies will provide the bikes, 24 hour emergency assistance and help book hotels in advance. You can go on a tour for a weekend or several weeks.
Some recommended Motorcycle Tours include:
- Moto Aventures offers a 16 day tour from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, with the Long Way Down's Charley Boorman and British comedian Ross Noble. This trip has set dates (check web site), and some experience is required.
- Sama Motorcycle Tours is a family-run company in South Africa that offers tours from 5 days to 20 days (up to Botswana and Victoria Falls (Zambia). They offer both guided and self-guided tours.
- Ayers Adventures have many scheduled tours on offer covering Namibia, and South Africa.
- Due South - based out of Johannesburg offers set tours through some of South Africa's most spectacular scenery on BMW's and Can-Am Spyders. They also offer customized tours and bike rentals for those wanting to ride independently within southern Africa.
- Le Cap Motorcycle Hire is based out of Cape Town and offers several guided tours around South Africa.
- Harley Tours and Rentals enjoy riding the "King of the Road" in some of South Africa's most scenic spots. Three standard tours are available from one week to two weeks.
- Triumph Motorcycle Tours offers several 1 and 2 week tours around the most scenic parts of South Africa. They're based out of Johannesburg.
- Cape Sidecar Adventures offers you the chance to enjoy a motorcycle tour in a vintage model Changjiang CJ750. This means you can bring the kids! You can self-drive or get chauffeured for a scenic day-trip around the Cape Peninsula.
- Karoo Biking specializes in BMW rentals and offers tours throughout South Africa as well as the Kingdom of Lesotho and Namibia.
- African Off Road Tours offers you the chance for some extreme off-roading tours in the South African bush.
More Motorcycle Tours in AfricaIn Madagascar -- Madagascar on Bike
In Tunisia -- Twin Tours offers several tours throughout the country including some spectacular desert rides.
In the Canary Islands, Backtrax Off-Road Motorcycle Tours offers day tours around Fuerteventura Island.
Motorcycle Trip ReportsThe best advice you can get about motorcycle tours is from those who have been there and done that. The websites below are great for advice and questions you may have. Trip reports are especially important to read if you're planning your own trip.
- Horizons Unlimited is probably the best informational website out there for motorcycle enthusiasts looking to ride in Africa. Their Travelers Tales are generally funny and always extremely informative.
- Africa Trip reports from Adventure Motorcycling has lots of good trip reports from people going it alone in Africa on their bikes.
- Adventure Rider has some very active forums with questions and trip reports from motorcyclists riding in Africa right now.
- Buy and watch Long Way Down which tracks Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's epic ride from the northern most tip of Scotland to South Africa.