The scenic beauty in almost every country in Africa is legendary but some sights truly stand out and are worth a trip in themselves. These include:
- The stunning Victoria Falls along the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe. The spray is so impressive from the look-out points, it feels like you are in the middle of a torrential rainstorm. The Victoria Falls are one of the Natural Wonders of the world and something you just have to experience.
- Namibia's Fish River Canyon is not as well known internationally but is second only to the Grand Canyon in the US. You can take a five-day hike in season that will leave you tired but elated. Luckily a spa greets you at the end of the walk.
- There are many spectacular mountain ranges but the most famous mountain in Africa is its tallest, Mount Kilimanjaro (Tanzania). Rising 19,336 feet out of the savannah with a permanent snow-capped peak, it's worth a trip even if you don't plan to climb it. More about - Best Treks in Africa.
- For greenery you shouldn't miss the rainforests in the Virunga Mountains (Rwanda, Uganda, and the DRC) which are home to the last remaining Mountain gorillas.
- Personally I love the stark beauty and romance of the desert. The dunes of the Sahara desert do not disappoint. The best places to enjoy a trek on a camel and spend a night in a bedouin tent include Tunisia and Morocco. There are some particularly spectacular dunes in Sossusvlei, Namibia.