The Best of Africa
By Anouk Zijlma, About.com Guide
With more than 50 countries to visit in Africa, deciding where to go can be a bit overwhelming. If a single top 10 list still makes it difficult to plan a vacation, a good idea is to narrow your choices down to a region that attracts you. Here are my picks for best destinations in North, South, East and West Africa.
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Best Destinations in North Africa
- Best Destinations in West & Central Africa
- Best Destinations in East Africa
- Best Destinations in Southern Africa
In my opinion every country in Africa is worth visiting whether its big or small, dusty or lush. But some countries are blessed with more accessible attractions than others. Here's a selection of top attractions in Africa's most visited countries.
- Botswana's Top Attractions
- Egypt's Top Attractions
- Ethiopia's Top Attractions
- Ghana's Top Attractions
- Kenya's Top Attractions
- Malawi's Top Attractions
- Mali's Top Attractions
- Morocco's Top Attractions
- Namibia's Top Attractions
- South Africa's Top Attractions
- Tanzania's Top Attractions
Going on safari is often the main reason people plan a vacation to East and Southern Africa. If you want to see the Big 5, or witness the great annual migration, you can't go wrong with these wildlife parks.
- Top 10 Safari Destinations in Africa
- Kenya's Top Widlife Parks/Reserves
- Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
Best Outdoor Adventures
While some would argue that just going to Africa is an adventure, once you're there, the outdoors will inspire you to take on a little bit more.
- Best Beaches in Africa
- Best Treks in Africa
- Best Motorcycle Tours in Africa
- Best Surfing Destinations in South Africa
- Best Overland Trips in Africa
- Best Backpacker Destinations in Africa
- Top Diving Spots in Africa
- The Victoria Falls, Zambia/Zimbabwe
Best Family Vacations
A family vacation in Africa is fun and adventurous. With sunshine, wildlife, beaches, history and lots of culture, it will be a trip that will stay with you forever. Here are some of Africa's most family-friendly destinations.
- Best Family Vacations in Egypt
- Best Family Vacations in Tanzania
- Best Family Vacations in Morocco
- Best Family Vacations in South Africa
- Best Family Vacations in Kenya
- Best Family Vacations in Tunisia
- Best Family Vacations in Namibia
- Best Family Vacations in Botswana
- Best Family Volunteer Vacations in Africa
Best Historic Sites
From the ancient pyramids of Egypt and the Sudan to the mysterious Zimbabwe ruins, Africa's history is absolutely fascinating. Here are some of the highlights that should not be missed.
- The Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, Egypt
- Fes Medina, Morocco
- Goree Island, Senegal
- Great Zimbabwe Ruins, Zimbabwe
- Luxor, Karnak, and Thebes, Egypt
- Djenne, Mali
- Bushman Rock Art, Drakensberg, South Africa
- Meroe Pyramids, Sudan
Best Festivals and Events
You can't visit Africa without stumbling upon some celebration or festival taking place. But some are bigger than others and well worth planning your vacation around. I've broken out Africa's best festivals and events by month.
- Africa's Best Music Festivals
- January Festivals and Events
- February Festivals and Events
- March Festivals and Events
- April Festivals and Events
- May Festivals and Events
- June Festivals and Events
- July Festivals and Events
- August Festivals and Events
- September Festivals and Events
- October Festivals and Events
- November Festivals and Events
- December Festivals and Events
From luxury treehouse lodges in South Africa to exquisite Riads in Morocco, Africa offers an enormous variety of accommodation. Here are some "best of" lists to help you sort it all out.
Nothing is more inspirational than a good travel photo. Here's a collection of some of the best photo galleries on the site, showcasing Africa at its best.